The loss of a child is the worst possible nightmare for any whānau, and the New Zealand Down Syndrome Association (NZDSA), the Auckland Down Syndrome Association (ADSA), and the UpsideDowns Education Trust offer their condolences to Lena’s family and friends.
New Zealand Down Syndrome Association, Auckland Down Syndrome Association and UpsideDowns are liaising to see how we can most effectively support the Harrap family and honour Lena’s life, but most importantly how we can do so while respecting their request for privacy.
We are urging others, including media, to do the same.
We understand this is a very difficult time. If you would like someone to talk to, or need help, please reach out:
- Need to talk? (1737 – free call or text)
- The Depression Helpline (0800 111 757)
- Healthline (0800 611 116)
- Lifeline (0800 543 354)
- Samaritans (0800 726 666)
- Youthline (0800 376 633)
- What’s Up? – Helpline for children and young people (0800 942 8787)
- Safe to Talk – Sexual harm helpline: (0800 044 334 or text: 4334)
We are here to help families and carers at all stages. You may have a new baby, or care for an adult with Down syndrome.
Course participant feedback: “It was such an incredible day, I learnt so much! My brain is so full so I am heading home shortly to unpack it all and get ready for another full day tomorrow.”