- Library items are NOT for sale.
- Items may be borrowed by ADSA members ONLY (join the ADSA) or school staff with a child who is a member of the ADSA.
- To use the library, you must fill out a Library Membership Form (PDF). Also see the ADSA Library Terms and Conditions.
- The library is open weekdays from 10.00am to 2.00pm school term only. For our address and location map, go to the ADSA contact page. Please phone the office on (09) 527 0060 before visiting.
Speech Sounds Checklists and Record Sheets
Children with Down syndrome usually have considerable difficulty with speech sound production and delay in being able to say initial sounds will lead to delay in saying first words. Sound production can be encouraged from the babble stage in the first year of life and speech sounds can be specifically practised from 18 months of age or earlier. Speech sound work is often neglected in therapy programmes in favour of language work, that is, learning to understand words and to communicate. The language work is equally important – speech and language work should be given equal weight at all times. This checklist contains two lists, the 44 single speech sounds (phonemes) that English speaking children master and the more difficult clusters and blends that are used in English. The clusters are often not fully mastered until 6 years of age in typically developing children and later for children with Down syndrome, sometimes not until teenage years. The importance of speech sound work for children with Down syndrome cannot be over-emphasised – research shows that it is effective. At present, the majority of adolescents and adults are difficult to understand because of poor speech clarity and this affects their social lives and opportunities.
ADSA Library Terms and Conditions
- I agree to abide by the Policies and Procedures of the Auckland Down Syndrome Association Library.
- I agree to treat the Library, other members, the Librarian, and the library resources with respect and consideration.
- PRIVACY ACT: I understand that these details will be added to the ADSA Library membership list and used only by the committee for Library business.
- LIABILITY CLAUSE: I hereby assume complete and full responsibility for any and all injuries to any person or persons which result in whole or in part from using the resources I borrow from the ADSA Library. I hereby release the ADSA, its employees and volunteers including the committee, from any and all responsibility in respect of any injuries so sustained either outside of or on the premises
- I have read and agree to abide by the library membership terms and condition and ADSA Library Rules.