The library is open weekdays from 10.00am to 2.00pm school term only. For our address and location map, go to the ADSA contact page.
Please note the following:
- Library items are NOT for sale and may be borrowed by ADSA members ONLY (join the ADSA)
- Please phone the office on (09) 527 0060 before visiting
- Library Terms and Conditions
Overview - An overview of the development of children with Down syndrome (5-11 years)
It is argued that the goals for children with Down syndrome should be age-appropriate and therefore many of the goals should be the same as for other children, although the child with Down syndrome may not achieve quite the same levels of competence in each area. This age period begins with settling into full-time school and it is the start of increasing independence from the family and moving away from the high levels of individual support that preschool children receive, to being able to be part of a group and to cope in the larger social world of the school and community. There is consistent evidence that children with Down syndrome gain significantly from full inclusion in mainstream schools. In particular, they show significant gains in spoken language, reading, writing and arithmetic. These gains will enhance their adult lives – especially the ability to communicate more effectively. However, the special educational needs of the children should be met wherever they are receiving their education and the key needs and appropriate adaptations for teaching and learning are described. Children with Down syndrome will benefit from a partnership between parents, teachers and therapists and specific goals are provided for parents, teachers, speech and language therapists and physical therapists, based on the research into the children’s specific profile of needs and into effective interventions.
Terms and Conditions
- I agree to abide by the Policies and Procedures of the Auckland Down Syndrome Association Library.
- I agree to treat the Library, other members, the Librarian, and the library resources with respect and consideration.
- PRIVACY ACT: I understand that these details will be added to the ADSA Library membership list and used only by the committee for Library business.
- LIABILITY CLAUSE: I hereby assume complete and full responsibility for any and all injuries to any person or persons which result in whole or in part from using the resources I borrow from the ADSA Library. I hereby release the ADSA, its employees and volunteers including the committee, from any and all responsibility in respect of any injuries so sustained either outside of or on the premises
- I have read and agree to abide by the library membership terms and condition and ADSA Library Rules.