There are a number of disability support services across Auckland; follow the links to their websites for more information.

The Advocacy Service ↗

The Nationwide Health and Disability Advocacy Service is a free service that operates independently from all health and disability service providers, government agencies and HDC. If you want to know more about your rights when using health or disability services, get questions answered, or make a complaint, they can help. Freephone: 0800 555 050 or email:

Find out more in this information sheet (PDF)»

CCS Disability Action ↗

CCS is a provider of support and services to people with disabilities. They offer service co-ordination and early intervention. They also provide support services to youth and adults including transition services, supported independent living and employment services.

Phone CSS on 0800 227 2255 or visit their website.

Community Services Card ↗

If you receive the Child Disability Allowance you should automatically receive a Community Services Card. This may help you with the cost of doctor’s fees and prescriptions. The Community Services Card can reduce the cost of:

  • prescription fees
  • fees for after hours doctor visits
  • visits to a doctor who is not your regular doctor
  • glasses for children 15 years and younger
  • emergency dental care provided by hospitals and approved dental contractors (ask the dental provider if they are an approved contractor)
  • travel and accommodation for treatment at a public hospital outside your area when you have been referred (at least 80km away for adults and 25km for children)
  • home help

You can use your card for your dependent children aged under 18 years. Work and Income administer the Community Services Card on behalf of the Ministry of Health.

Phone 0800 999 999, email or visit their website.

Disability Connect ↗

Disability Connect regularly run six different seminars throughout the year on the following topics:

  • Individualised Funding including respite
  • Transition out of school
  • Living Options
  • Education Legal Issues
  • Planning for Adulthood
  • Work and Income

Other areas of interest on the Disability Connect website are Seminars & Workshops ↗ and Useful links ↗.

Firstport ↗

Visit Firstport for information about managing your disability, accessing funding and getting support for you, your whānau and caregivers.

Group Special Education – Ministry of Education ↗

Provides access to support and services for children with special education needs. GSE teams include early childhood educators, school age, moderate needs, SLT, OT, physiotherapists, psychologists, ORS funding. Early intervention staff come from a range of disciplines. They include:

  • Speech-language therapists
  • Early intervention teachers
  • Psychologists
  • Advisors on deaf children
  • Resource Teachers: Vision
  • Kaitakawaenga (Mâori liaison advisors)
  • Education support workers

The early intervention teams work collaboratively with families/whânau, educators and specialists from other agencies to strengthen and extend children’s educational learning. The teams have an in-depth understanding of early childhood development and knowledge of special education in early childhood. The GSE early intervention specialists work alongside families/whânau, educators, other agencies and specialists to:

  • identify needs early in the child’s life
  • assess the child’s skills and needs
  • set goals for the child
  • develop a plan to achieve the goals
  • provide expertise and tools to support the plan
  • agree on new goals as the child progresses.

Services can include:

  • guidance for teachers and parents
  • using techniques based around playing to teach new skills
  • designing strategies to improve social and learning skills and behaviour management
  • speech-language therapy
  • direct teaching support
  • the development of special resources such as communication aids
  • coordinating physiotherapy, occupational therapy and equipment.

IHC/Idea Services ↗

IHC and its service arm IDEA services is a nationwide not-for-profit organisation that supports people with intellectual disabilities. IHC provide services, advocacy, support and information. IHC will advocate for the rights, inclusion and welfare of all people with an intellectual disability and support them to live satisfying lives in the community. Services are provided by IHC’s service delivery arms called IDEA Services Limited, IDEA Services family/whanau services and Timata Hou. Services include:

Phone IHC on 0800 442 442 or visit their website.

Parent 2 Parent ↗

Parent 2 Parent run a “Navigating the System” seminar which aims to provide families with basic information about the various disability service providers in Auckland, what they offer and how you can contact them. For information visit the Parent 2 Parent website or phone 09 625 5021.

Disability Support Services can include:

  • Home and Community Support (household management and personal care). It is worthwhile noting that you may be eligible for home and community services funded through Individualised Funding which is a way of paying for Home and Community Support Services directly
  • Respite and Carer Support
  • Rehabilitation
  • Behaviour Support
  • Supported Independent Living
  • Community Residential Support
  • Community Day Programmes
  • Disability Information and Advisory Services (DIAS)

To receive Disability Support Services, you must meet the eligibility criteria. Your medical support team (Child Development Services at the DHB or pediatrician) should complete a referral for you to Taikura Trust. However if they don’t then your GP can or any family member, friend or you yourself.

Phone Taikura Trust on 0800 TAIKURA or visit their website ↗ – for referral form (click on the link ‘ask for services’ to download a Word file)»

Taikura Trust ↗

Taikura Trust is contracted by the Ministry of Health to provide Needs Assessment and Service Coordination (NASC) to people with disabilities. Their services cover the greater Auckland region from Mercer to Wellsford. Through Taikura Trust, you may be able to access Disability Support Services, which are funded by the Ministry of Health.

Taikura Trust do not provide direct support, such as home help or respite care. Instead, their staff establish who is eligible for Disability Support Services, then assess support needs and coordinate services for eligible people. Through the Needs Assessment Process, Taikura Trust identify your personal goals and get an understanding of your individual needs. They will then plan and coordinate the supports with you.

The Early Intervention Service ↗

The Early Intervention Service information sheet (PDF) ↗: This information sheet outlines the services and support available from the Ministry of Education, Special Education to support you and your child if your child has special education needs and hasn’t yet started school.

Phone 09 632 9400 or visit their website.

Work and Income – Child Disability Allowance ↗

The Child Disability Allowance is a fortnightly payment that can be made to the principal caregiver of a child who:

  • needs constant care and attention because of a physical, psychiatric or intellectual disability
  • is likely to need care permanently or for more than 12 months.

What is important to note is that eligibility for the CDA is not related to the disability itself but to the extent of extra care and attention a child with a physical, psychiatric or intellectual disability requires. For example, a child with Down syndrome may not require any more care and attention than any other child but other children with the condition will. Furthermore, a young child may require more care and attention and they may, then, reach a stage where the care and attention is not required as they gain skills to manage their lives.

The individual circumstances of the child are always taken into account when eligibility for the CDA is being considered. It is not a case of children with a physical, psychiatric or intellectual disability being automatically eligible for the CDA.

CDA is not about providing cost; the Disability Allowance can assist with that.

Child Disability Allowance information Ministry of Social Development website ↗

The Child Disability Allowance is $47.64 a week for each child who qualifies (as at June 2018) for each child who qualifies. This is a set amount and doesn’t depend on your income or costs. This allowance is paid into your bank account every two weeks and is paid separately from any other assistance you may get. In most cases, it won’t affect any other assistance you may get.

To apply for this allowance contact Work and Income on  0800 559 009.