The digital resource The Golden Years, Ageing and Down syndrome is presented by expert Geraldine Whatnell and discusses how ageing may affect their health and wellbeing, as well as supports they may need if they are diagnosed with dementia.
The valuable video offers background on a range of subjects and demonstrate best practice when supporting people with Down syndrome. The subjects include:
- Ageing and Down syndrome
- Importance of health checks
- Explores the connection between Down syndrome and dementia
- Looks at the myths about Down syndrome and dementia
- Assessment and diagnosis of dementia
- Understanding dementia and the stages of dementia
- Strategies we can use
- How we can help people with Down syndrome who live with dementia.
Presenter Geraldine (Dina) Whatnell is the Nurse Practitioner Mental Health and Addictions Service Palmerston North Hospital.
Geraldine brings with her nearly 40 years of professional skills and knowledge in the specialist area of developmental disabilities (intellectual disabilities and/or Autism Spectrum Disorder) and mental illness. Alongside this, Geraldine has a wealth of personal lived experience as her younger brother Mark having a diagnosis of Down syndrome .